Thursday, June 22, 2017

Summer Pumpkin

My mother and I love pumpkins. Every October we buy a pumpkin for each of us, roast the seeds, and carve faces in it for Halloween. 
  I'm not ashamed to admit that I stopped by Walmart on my way home from school on the day after last Halloween to buy a couple of one dollar pumpkins, or that I filled my trunk with pumpkins a few days after that when we went to Kroger and saw they were giving away leftover pumpkins. Or that I have a few bags of roasted pumpkin pieces in the trianglular shapes used to carve out Jack-o'-lanterns in the freezer, because the chickens were tied of pumpkin and I didn't think the mulch could handle any more. (Side note: the meat from carveing pumpkins tastes just as good as smaller pie pumpkins to me.)
  For several years we tried to grow our own pumpkins from seeds, but after a couple of years of buying seeds and, at best, only getting a few vines on which the female blooms would rot off, we gave up on trying to grow our own pumpkins.  
Que this year, in which somehow we must have missed one of the delicous seeds, and it not only grew into a vine but did what the store bought seeds could not: produce a pumpkin! A pumpkin in in the summer. It's a miracle!

  As always thank you for reading and have a bat-tastic day!



No comments:

Post a Comment