Yet another in my series of volunteer plants we couldn't grow when we purposely planted seeds. This time it's watermelon. Earlier in the season, right after we had filled the middle bed with cucumber and pepper plants, we found a clump of unidentified seedlings. It turned out they were watermelon vines that would grow so aggressively I had move one of the jalapeno plants out of the bed because it was covered in vines. Completely covered, I had trouble finding it.
The real surprise was that the melons we've eaten so far actually tasted good.
Lesson learned: always toss seeds in the garden, because composting pays off in more ways than one.
Here is a picture of one of the five, yes five, small watermelons the vines were able to produce before they died.
Side note: I have no idea why the died, but I suspect it was the heat and lack of rain, it's killed just about everything else, despite daily waterings.
We've been freezing the rinds and giving them to the chickens as a nutritious and cooling snack. Because it is too hot.
Thanks again for reading. I hope you have a bat-tastic day!