Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Easter Chicks

It took a while, but I finally figured out a pattern for hand knitted chicks. I wanted them to look like day old chicks, which pretty much look like a little ball on top of a bigger ball on stilts. I couldn't make the stilts, so I sewed little feet on them. I'm not sure how many people know this, but chicks have blue eye when they hatch. They turn yellow or brown after a couple of months.

   When I was knitting the second yellow chick I thought to myself "It would be cool to make one that looked like a Barred Rock or Australorp chick." Both are black with patches of cream. (I'm calling it a Barred rock chick, because surprisingly Australorps have more cream on them.)


 I've never seen a chicken with an orange beak and/or feet, but everybody's chicks have them so I thought I'd offer it. 

Some things I've learned while making the chicks:
  I stink at making eyes (I'm working on it) and color working in the round is hard. (But I still prefer it to making it flat and having to sew it up later.)
Below is the listing.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/127592485/hand-knitted-chicks?ref=shop_home_active

                  Happy Easter.  
 
                                 Thank you for reading Bats Bizarre's official blog. Have a Bat-tastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment