Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blue Eggs

   It's funny, I never realized how much I missed getting blue eggs until the new Ameraucana girls started laying. They are surprisingly good layers so far. We have two and have been getting two light blue eggs almost every day.  We used to have some 'Araucana' hens (that's what they were called at the feed store, but after the research I've been doing I'm beginning to think they were Easter Eggers) who laid large olive green eggs, one white hen that came with the house that laid blue, and some mixes from those girls that laid blue or green eggs. Green or blue eggs have the same nutritional value and amount of cholesterol as brown or white eggs. The only difference is the color of the shell.

   I would like to get more Easter Egger hens that lay olive green eggs. I miss them. But for now I will be content with the blue eggs. They look nice in the carton nestled in the with the different shades of brown eggs.       
 
  We have thirteen hens, at the time I am writing this: four yellow Buff orpingtons and Buff -Barred Plymouth Rock mixes (not sure which are which), three black with yellow necked buff-and-what-I-think-were-Black-Sex-link chicken mixes, two Black Australope hens, two Barred Plymouth Rocks, and the two earlier mentioned Ameraucana hens. Oh, and a Ameraucana Rooster, my uncle's daughter gave us after a hawk killed our old one. (she had an extra rooster)  
 All of our hens are under two years old and right now I'm picking close to a dozen eggs a day. (about nine or ten, sometimes eleven, a day) and thinking we need to start looking for more people to buy our yard eggs. Right now we only have my Aunt and a woman she knows. Mom's talking about making and wearing a shirt that reads: 'Ask me about yard eggs'. That should prove interesting. She'll do it, too you know.

                           Thank you for reading Bats Bizarre's official blog.  Have a bat-tastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment