Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What I'm growing (in the 'herb garden')

I'm not sure if anyone reads this blog enough to notice, but I'm sorry I missed Thursday's post. I'll try to do better. Anyway...
Starting from left to right here is a list of what was in the herb/ front garden as of when these photos were taken.

There are some 4o'clocks that came up from last year's plants. But they're rather hard to see. Most of them came up outside the and had to be moved. Last year it was a mix of yellow, white, and red, all pretty much in the same spot, so I don't what color these will be.

A cat water dish/ bird bath and an oversized planter that's supposed to have pomegranate seedlings in it. And next to that is an old sheet I used to cover the limes I planted last year when I ran out of pots.

Oregano- a great herb that comes back from the roots every spring. A must have for spaghetti sauce.

A line of Garlic Chives that makes a good block against soil erosion. They multiply like crazy and can be used as a substitute for green onion.

Marigolds- also from seeds that last year's plants dropped. They came up everywhere, usually too close to each other or some other plant. I'm move them around.

A Dutch Iris- I bought one of those bargain bags of mixed white and blue Irises (I don't know which this one is) and Gladiolas last year and ran out of places to bury them.

Rosemary- one of my mother's favorite herbs. It tastes great with chicken, and potatoes.

 Blue scent salvia- A member of the sage family. I don't think it's edible. I planted it from seeds last year, it is drought and heat tolerant but it's apparently some what cold tolerant too, because I didn't really cover it.

Basil- it's planted in the middle, but is too small to see, yet. It does not tolerate frost, so it must be planted every year or overwintered in a pot in a warm protected spot. Goes good with tomatoes.

There is an bearded Iris and two cone flowers, but none of them have really leafed out well enough to be seen.

That's our fig tree on the other side of the cinderblocks and in the second picture you can see the lemon tree. Would you believe it has all those lemons on it and is starting to flower? 

                 Thank you for reading Bats Bizarre's official blog. Have a bat-tastic day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment